I currently define it as:
Staying True to Self, being able to maintain one's connection with Self and taking action from that space no matter what is going on around you, or in relation to how other people might react.
Energetically speaking, it involves:
- Holding the vibration you want to emit as you go about your day and in your interactions with others.
- e.g. One vibration might be your "Home Frequency"....
- Being aware of yourself in relation to others (energy fields)
- Seeing yourself and others as an extension of Source Energy (Oneness)
Some old programming you will shed in the process:
- Overextending yourself to please others (to be accepted or to to not make waves)
- Matching other people's energy (e.g. mood) when you don't want to
- Fear of interacting with others, thus holding you back from doing all you want to do
- Fear about how you might impact others, thus modulating yourself (e.g. making yourself 'small' so other people will feel comfortable in your presence)
- Feeling like a victim to external circumstances
- Unconsciously taking over other people's spaces, because you aren't aware of where you end and they begin
- Learned emotional reactions/outbursts/patterns of behavior
If you want to better own your space, you can do this by starting to say "hello" to your energy body more often. And that of others. I'll be writing more about this subject in coming blogposts. [Here's a recent blogpost introducing the topic.]
You can also pay more attention to your emotions. One way to become more neutral to the emotions you experience is to view them as your Emotional Guidance System, using Abraham-Hicks' reference... Gaining neutrality over how you feel helps you shift into being the Observer, which can give you that essential space to respond versus react. When you physically integrate the knowing that emotions themselves are neither good or bad, just simply set-points at various frequencies, you can allow yourself to feel the full range of emotions without resistance to any particular one and become more empowered in recognizing and switching emotional set-points as you so choose in the moment. You will also become better at discerning the source of emotional energy you become aware of (e.g. who is emitting what, if you are matching someone else, or their energy field triggers an emotional reaction in you).
With intention and practice, you can run and shift emotions rather quickly.
One strategy to become more of the Observer of your emotions, is to focus on simpler emotional reactions to every day scenarios known to trigger you. Pet peeves essentially. As you start with those, you can become more aware of how you are feeling in any given moment. Sometimes it hard to know how we feel because there are layers to it (e.g. often experienced within relationships), we are busy doing something, or subconsciously we don't actually want to look at how we feel.
Example of an every day trigger:
Do you get irritated when you observe a driver not following the 'rules of the road'?
Steps to Run and Process Emotional Reactions for increased emotional awareness, neutrality, and support in owning your space:
- Acknowledge to yourself: "I am running irritation right now". Your mind may start listing all the reasons you are justified for being irritated. Kindly cut yourself off and tell yourself it's okay you believe so, and go to Step 2.
- Gently refocus your mind to how your body feels as you are running irritation. It is important not to feed the emotion with reinforcing thoughts...this is why using your mind power to refocus on how the emotion feels in your body is very helpful to prevent the downward spiral of thoughts/emotions that can pull us out of the present moment.
- Allow yourself to feel irritated. As you sit with the emotion -- being present with it -- you are actively letting it run it's course through empowered allowing/acceptance, and gaining neutrality over the emotion of irritation.
- Give yourself Love as you feel irritated. Do make the Love real to your body by physically or verbally comforting yourself as much as needed. Energetic process: Imagine the Love as a beautiful light pouring out from your heart chakra and filling your body and energy field -- observe how any resistance/judgement in your body/field that was triggered by your current experience is either transformed into the same light of Love or is gently released down your grounding cord to the center of the Earth.
- When ready, ask yourself, "Where would I like to vibrate now?" Your body may feel like moving/shaking/verbally releasing to support this realignment intention. Give yourself permission and space to do that.
Note: For the more complex, layered situations, you often feel multiple emotions, so you will need to do this process with each of those emotions, one after another as they come up. Also, there are times you are feeling past life or planetary energies which can generate a depth of emotional currents that can feel overwhelming. The "letting it run it's course" step of Allowing can take significantly longer. Focusing on self-care is helpful in those instances, as well as connecting with Source.
There is a surprising power of simply being present with your emotions -- which can be quite transformative and have far reaching impact (past/present/future). Sometimes, it dissolves the need for deeper root cause work! (Although deeper work can be necessary at times as well).
I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments below!
To your success,