Physically, this means we may lean forward in our chair, our muscles tense, our jaw tightens, our shoulders may hunch forward...
Mentally, our mind is actively engaged to 'find answers' or 'make sense' of any information we are receiving...we might start interpreting or going into analyzing mode. Note: this is different from claircognizance (knowingness) or 'information downloads' which can come as packets of insight.
Overall, we are contracting as we strain for answers, and in this space we are slowly closing down our abilities like an aperture of a lens to allow insight to come through...
We may do this because we feel 'responsibility' or performance pressure (as a reader), or because we really want to know the answer.
When you notice yourself doing this, I encourage you to remember two things:
1.) Remember "Relaxing into Receiving"... (or a helpful trigger mechanism you come up with around this concept)
1.) Run your shifting back into receiving mode practice
And as always, I encourage you to be gentle with yourself, and to love and accept yourself through your open and contracted states. <3
I pulled from the "Mudras for Awakening the Energy Body", by Alison DeNicola deck, and two cards jumped out (below). The photos have information on how to do each mudra, and below is the suggested practice to go with each mudra, directly from the guidebook.
11. Adhi Mudra - Calming
Practice (from guidebook): "Bring your awareness to the base of the spine. Feel the calm and solid energy of the earth. Sense the heartbeat of the earth underneath you, supporting you on your journey. Feel that heartbeat of the earth become your own heartbeat. Know that the calm and support you need is always available to you. Use the connection to Mother's Earth heartbeat to cultivate more balance and stillness in your life."
24. Hridaya Mudra - Inner Guidance
Practice (from guidebook): "Have a quiet sense of sound. Notice the hands on the chest and the gentle rise and fall of your breath. Allow yourself to travel deep inside your heart. Picture the heart space as a warm and brilliant inner room. See all your beautiful qualities there. Notice and listen to the voice of your heart. Ask it any question you may have and take special care to listen for the answer. Know that it is always safe to do so. Trust that your inner knowledge is loving, kind and compassionate."
Wow, I just love synchronicity...Card 1 is a simple and powerful practice you can to to get into a receiving mode for yourself or clients...or when you are at work, school, whenever you need to restore inner balance and calm (and quiet the mind). And Card 2 is great when you are looking to access and trust your intuition. Which can also be for yourself or with clients. Trust being a key factor to being able to openly receive. There is just so much beautiful synergy between these two cards and with the topic of this blogpost...<3
A process I've been using when I find myself 'straining' for insight (am excited to incorporate the mudras from today):
- I physically shift my body back where I was sitting, to open and relax my body.
- I take deep, slow breaths as a I consciously open my chest area (by shifting my shoulders back comfortably), and relax my muscles.
- I check my grounding cord, gave it a tug to feel it's connection with the base of my spine and the center of the earth.
- I check the earth energy coming up through my feet chakras and feel that flow and make adjustments as needed.
- I soften my focus from the question I was seeking answers for, letting go of the questions completely from my mind.
- I clear away any information I'd collected up to that point (resetting back to a blank screen, etc.)
- I re-center my awareness back to my heart chakra (center of chest area)... Note: you can shift your awareness down from your head gradually, e.g. first by bringing your awareness to your nose, then your chin, then your throat, down to your thymus area until you feel centered at your heart chakra.
- In this open, relaxed space - I remind myself that Spirit/Higher Self/Angels/Guides (whoever I am in communication with for the session) will relay the answers to me via any ability (clairvoyance, clairsentience, etc.) in perfect time...My only 'job' is to simply "Relax and Receive".
- I rest in that neutral space and notice whatever comes to me (what images pop up, what feelings I feel, any words that came across, etc.). **The insight**
- If I notice my mind getting too engaged to understand/analyze/make sense of the info, I soften my focus back to my body (being relaxed), my grounding cord and earth energy, and my heart center (all the steps above can be done quite quickly after awhile).
- I communicate or write whatever comes up with a soft mind until the session is complete.
Would love to hear what practice works for you or what practice you come up in the comments below!
To your success,